Purpose of Expectant Mother’s Ministry at Good Hope Baptist Church is to provide prayerful loving encouragement and support to pregnant and new mothers.
Pregnancy, birth, and parenting a new baby is life changing and sometimes overwhelming. The ministry hopes to lovingly help mothers ease into motherhood knowing someone is praying for them and available when questions or needs arise.
I John 4:10-12 “This is love: not that we love God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.”
I Corinthians 13: 4-6a “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil, but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always and preservers. Love never fails.”
Action plan of ministry is:
Identify pregnancies within our church and work with other ministries as an outreach to unchurched pregnant women in the community.
Assign a mentor or prayer partner that will pray with and for the expectant mother. She is the liaison for Good Hope. She should be a mother of young children who is a professing Christian and member of Good Hope Baptist Church.
- The Prayer partner will contact the expectant mother as soon as she can after
- being assigned to her. This can be a face to face visit or a phone call initially to introduce herself as a prayer partner and contact person when she has a need o just wants to talk.
- A copy of “God Knits and Weaves, part one”, or other book, or gift as designated will be given, and a prayer should be offered at that time with the mother. Find out how she wants you to pray for her (what are some specific concerns she may have).
- Each month the prayer partner should contact the mother if she isn’t routinely in touch and get an update on how the mother is doing and if she has any new concerns. Pray at that time.
- Pray daily for this mother and how you we as a team and church can be a support.
- Coordinate the shower for the mother at the appropriate time usually the last trimester. (The Sunday School Class should be in charge of the shower, but you should make sure it is happening and help as needed.) Part two of “God Knits and Weaves” can be given at that time. If not a part of SS class, we are in charge of assuring that they have a shower.
- After the birth, a meals schedule should be set up for one to two weeks. Partner ill help get that set up.
A crisis pregnancy collective shower may be conducted or a donations drive as is appropriate for women in need. There is a separate ministry that we can work with to accomplish this task.
Notify the church office or contact person of miscarriages or medical or complicate pregnancies, or babies with defects or illness. Ask if she wants to put her name on the prayer list. Currently Liz Zadeits is the contact for “Glory Babies”.
Ultimately the goals would be to help the mother feel loved and supported. If the mother isn’t a Christian to come to know Jesus, and bring her children up to know what God has done for them so they too may bring generations to the knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
Deuteronomy 4: 5-7 “Love the Lord you God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon our hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.”
For more information, contact Sabrina Waters at 477-0236